Saturday, August 7, 2010

Beauty Standards: A Rant

      Let me hit you up with some truth.  You don't have to work at a place notorious for nothing but wings and breasts to feel beautiful, and this is frustrating to me.  Every time I read a post like this, I always feel this way.  She describes herself as a girl who has "succumbed to the media".  Listen, don't blame the media for your self esteem issues.  I'm done with that.  It's well known by now how much work goes in to making those girls look like that, and if you see them walking down the street, they look NOTHING like they do in their pictures.  Sometimes I wonder if models are self conscious themselves without being all dolled up.  How ironic would that be?
      But let me tell you something else.  Showing skin and body is not exactly a side-effect of self esteem.  In fact, sometimes its just the opposite.  Sometimes its, "If I show all this off, maybe I'll get noticed" syndrome.  I don't know about you, but occasionally when I put on my bikini, sometimes I'm like, "Dear gawd, what is THAT!?"  It is my -own- problem.  My boyfriend doesn't notice it, nobody else around me notices it, just me.  My body image is not based off some model or actress -- that's impossible!  Everyone is different,  I'm not about to compare myself to other people.  I am what I am.  The boy I have now loves me for that, I don't need your approval, or the media's approval.
     Yes, I go to the gym every morning (almost), yes, I try to keep myself in shape, and yes I am concerned about my appearance.  Everyone is -- men included.  Everyone is concerned with how the world perceives them.  The difference between me and Wanna-be-hooters-girl?  I don't need to be in a position for boys to think I'm sexy to feel attractive.  Not any more.  Why not just make some more money and go straight to playboy?  They must have all the self confidence in the world...  The image I am trying to build for myself is one that I'm going to like and be proud of.  Screw everyone else.  If I wanted to look like a model, I could.
     So, media stereotypes and women who have completely succumbed to them, leave me alone.  The greatest evidence of self confidence comes from wanting to be yourself, not somebody else, and loving the person you are.  I'm not going to lie, I've spent time staring longingly at magazines wondering what I can't be better, but I'm done with that.  Let me be me, media, and I'll let you continue feeding your fake crap the masses, maybe someday everyone will see how shitty you really are.

End rant. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment